Rachael's Writing Process

I've never written anything. Well, a poem in high school English class more years ago than I care to think about, but I can’t count an assignment. 

As I'm writing this I can call myself a liar. I play guitar and have written more than one song. I’ve performed my songs live and recorded a demo. When I think about writing, why did I not think about my music? Why can I say to myself "poetry isn't my jam" but then know I can easily write a ditty with a mean hook and a haunting bridge? Songwriting came easy to me. You see, I'm the daughter of musicians. My mom plays piano and my dad, well, before his stroke he could play any instrument. I am the daughter of musicians who are writers and creators.

Writing comes in so many styles yet I would guess most writers might not consider themselves writers™️. On social media I see a lot of talented authors suffer from imposter syndrome, whereas they write but don't consider themselves “writers”, mainly because they're not published. I certainly never considered myself a writer until Kim and I finished our first book. I've written and recorded my own music, and I still struggle to define what being a writer means to me.

I’ve entered a new stage of writing. One that started as a lark, then turned into us thinking “this is good, we might actually have something here”. It was actually a lot like writing a song, once you get the hook and the bridge the rest came easily. The ideas that come out of my head still surprise me (in a good way!).

It’s a still a bit surreal to me when I get an email from our publisher or editor. We started this journey in 2020, wrote the book in 1 year and took another year to find a publisher. That year was stressful, querying is stressful, but we persisted because as we kept repeating to ourselves, we knew we had something good. The right publisher picked up our series and it’s been off to the races ever since.

In the end we wrote a novel that will come out in September of 2023. It’s the first book in the Amber Falls Series, Yours, Always. We hope you stick with us on the rest of our journey to publication and beyond!

Greyson left the party earlier than usual, despite his win and the barrage of female attention. On the limo ride home, he wondered what had happened to that old Hollywood charm, when it had been more about the art you were creating, over the money you were making. He was seeing more directors that couldn’t direct, and producers working skeleton crews to inflate their bottom line. ‘It girls’ had slowly become more looks over substance, and he'd stopped paying attention to who those girls were supposed be. He’d asked one girl who her favorite Beatle was, and she’d responded “ew, gross, I do not like bugs.”

After the limo had dropped him off, he slowly walked into his home, turning the kitchen lights on and setting his swag bags on the counter. As he cracked a Budweiser his phone rang, a smile crossed his face when he saw Prudence on the screen, swiping up to answer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Content Edits

Real Life Inspiration While Writing

Our Writing Process